Cavities, also known as tooth decay, is one of the most common dental problems that we treat. When you visit Celebrity Smile, our dentist will examine your mouth for any signs of tooth decay, and recommend an appropriate treatment to help remove the cavities and help prevent future tooth decay. To learn more about our cavity treatments in San Diego, California, and to make an appointment with Dr. Lori Ann Safar, call us today at 858-461-6730.
Tooth decay occurs when plague and bacteria remain on the teeth for long periods of time. If left untreated, tooth decay can cause significant damage to your teeth, including such severe decay that the tooth needs to be removed. Cavities are typically a result of poor oral hygiene.
There are several things that you can do to prevent tooth decay:
- Brush and floss daily. We recommend using a fluoridated toothpaste. You may also consider brushing with baking soda.
- Keep all your regular preventive appointments with our dentist.
- Avoid eating sugary or starchy foods.
- Use an antibacterial mouth rinse.
- Ask our dentist for a fluoride treatment.
- Use MI Paste®. This product helps remineralize your teeth to prevent cavities.
- Eat foods containing xylitol. Xylitol is present in many foods, and can also be found in gums. Many local convenience stores and health food stores stock gum containing xylitol. You may also visit globalsweet.com for more options.
- Increase the amount of arginine in your diet. Arginine can be found in foods such as spinach, soy, seafood, and nuts.
- Visit com. These products are designed to reduce decay and keep the pH levels in your mouth high to prevent bacteria from multiplying as rapidly.
- Eat products containing glylic. Glylic has antimicrobial properties that help fight cavities and gum disease. drjohns.com offers lollipops and other products that you may enjoy.
For more information about way that you can prevent cavities and keep your teeth healthy and strong, please contact our office today.